First topic message reminder :

Luna and Jules
horse people
in australia
yabba dabba do

AuthorMessage
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:07 pm

He inclined his head, rubbing between the horse's eyes when he settled. "Should turn out a good schooling horse in the end. If he doesn't work out for you, a riding school should be happy to take him. he's gentle enough." He didn't notice the soft touch, tipping his hat back. "Once he loses the bad habits, the saddle sores should be healed enough for me to try saddling him up and backing him. We'll see how he goes with the cattle then."

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Luna nodded at his words and untangled the spotted knot. "Alright then if nothing else he can be used to check out fences if he's good around cattle." She replied. "Otherwise I'm sure someone will enjoy him." She stepped closer to the pair and stroked her hand down the geldings neck slowly, untangling any knots in his mane.She knew an auction was happening on the weekend and she intended to attend but she didn't want to be conned again. "Are you attending the auction this weekend?" She asked softly keeping her eyes on Major with a light bush.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:33 pm

Eyeing the girl on the outside of the fence, Julian sniffed a little, and sent the horse trotting back around the edge of the ring. If he couldn't be ridden even bareback just yet, then Julian would be working him from the ground until he was calmer. He half heard the question, and lifted a shoulder. "Wasn't planning on it. Got enough horses with the dun mare, and now this one. "

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:11 am

Luna nodded slightly at his words and remained silent for a little while working up the courage. "Would you be willing to come with me? I could use a second opinion." She asked finally. Her cheeks were bright red and she kept her gaze firmly on the ground at her feet. She held still just waiting on the waiting on the rejection she was sure that was coming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:16 am

"What are you looking for?" He kept his eyes on the horse, working him so that his back muscles could begin to relax, and hopefully help the issue of being backed with a saddle. The man had been treating the saddle sores, and they were healing up nicely. Another couple of days, and the scabs should be all gone with the hair grown nicely over the top. He'd always have a few patches of white hair on his withers, but that couldn't be helped. What was more important was training the gelding out of his bad habits.

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:47 am

Luna looked up at Julian shocked up his words and the lack of straight up refusal. "Same thing I was hopin this boy would be. Preferably rideable at the very least anyway." she said forcing her gaze from his body and to the gelding. She watched as his trotting became smoother the longer he got worked and she wondered if the man showed this much dedication in all aspects of his life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:05 pm

"One for barrels?" Julian lifted a shoulder, slowing the horse, and sending him going the other way. He was going well, beginning to calm down and settle into the rhythm of working. A few more circles, and he was going to get on him again, see what he tried to do next. "Not much competition for barrels down here, sweetheart. 'less you're planning to be driving days away."

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Luna nodded her head and shrugged slightly. "I have noticed that not much in the way of dressage either. The major season for both are comin up in a few months and I will be away durin them unless somethin major comes up. Down here is for quiet trainin more than anything. If I can get and train up a good barreler than I can enter him into beginner comps see how he goes and take him higher each year." She replied. A breeze washed over them coolingly as they stood in the sun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:51 pm

"Yeah, us country folk more go for the campdrafting, cutting, that sort of thing." He glanced over at her for a moment, considering her request, and then turned his attention back to the horse. He was nice and calm now, his gait even and smooth, and Julian let him slow to a stop for a brief rest. "Chances are, you won't find anything that'll suit at the auction. better to wait til the next sales in the next town over. They're closer to the city where you get all your barrel comps. Just work out your questions before hand, and stick to what you want." Moving forward, he caught the horse, rubbing it's forehead gently, and pulled himself up onto it's back, the same way he'd done before.

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Luna considered Julians advice and tried to remember when that sale was on. From what she could remember it was the following weekend or the one after that and so she shelved the idea of getting her stallion for now. Instead she turned her focus to replacing the three cow ponies. "What about cow ponies? Would I find them at the auction or should I wait for them also?" She asked watching as he swung back onto Major. The geldings ears flattened and his body tensed as if waiting to spring forward into action suddenly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:25 pm

"Cow ponies? Oh, you mean stockhorses. Yeah, they're everywhere round here." He tugged on one side of the leadrope, turning the horse in tight circles until he stopped trying and relaxed his neck. "There we go, you're getting the idea now aren't you big fella? Your tricks won't work with me." He rubbed the horse's forehead, and released the pressure, waiting to see if he'd try any tricks again. "Stockhorses are fairly valuable round here, especially the well trained ones. The auction will have a few, mostly half broke two year olds."

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:18 pm

Luna nodded as he forced the gelding into a tight circle for a few minutes until he relaxed. "The ones that are bein sold, would they be worth lookin at? I need to replace three from our main property." She said watching as Major dropped hos head before swinging it back and nosing the mans boot. He seemed to have accepted Julian was on him to stay for a while at least for now. She felt sad that the stunning roan wouldn't be staying with them as he could have replaced one of the others. Just before she had left one of the young geldings had been taken out by a juvenile brown, based on the amount of venom in his blood, and another two were nearly ready for retirement from work being 17 years old.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:33 pm

"Aye, maybe. If you're willing to put work in to train them up fully. They'll all be born and bred here, so sure footed, got good cow sense at the least." He patted the horse's neck, and asked him forward into a walk, following the fence in a few circles. His words were absent, most of his attention on the young horse who seemed to be behaving for now. "I'd stick to the geldings, stockhorse stallions can be feisty. Especially when they're young. What possessed you to get this one, anyhow?"

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:45 pm

Luna nodded knowing that the boys out there would be willing to put the work into the new horses if they were worth it and once they were backing without much fuss they would go straight into work as they checked fencelines. "The boys out there wouldn't mind." She replied, "We only take geldings or mares out there. They prefer not to ride stallys." Major was walking along at an ambling pace and his ears were flickering between flat and listening to the two humans as they spoke. "Why Major? He was a stunner, looked and acted like he had spirit and they talked him up. Probably saw I was caught on him but he wasn't to much they seemed happy to see the this boy go." She said after thinking about her answer for a few minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:51 pm

"Your boys have sense then." He clicked to the gelding, easing him into a trot to see how he'd go, and what he'd do. "Surely you saw he had plenty of faults. He wasn't worth breeding, so why get him? The stallions around here aren't for the faint of hearted - or a beginner. We breed them like that on purpose. If you end up getting any, they'll be good for work for a couple of decades. Ned over there is nearly 24, still got plenty of up and go. He's a good'un, that one." He frowned at the gelding when he stumbled, managing to stay on though. "This one, however. Not so much."

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Luna dropped her grey eyes to the ground not wanting to admit that she had spotted the geldings faults but had brushed them off. "I did but I didn't if you get my drift. I know that's a stupid thing to do but they jumped on me, talkin him up." she said with shame in her voice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:22 pm

"Well, hopefully you've learned your lesson." Satisfied with how the gelding was going, he eased the horse to a stop and slid off him, patting his neck. "Don't feel too bad, it's easy to see you're not local. Makes you a prime target for cons." He let himself and the horse out of the yard, taking him to the hitching post to wipe him down with a wet sponge before turning him out into the paddock again. "he'll turn out alright in the end, just not what you were aiming for."

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:27 pm

Luna nodded mutely when he said he hoped she had learnt her lesson and she blinked rapidly when he told her not to fell to bad for falling into the con. "Yeah im gonna try not too. But I would prefer to have someone with more experience with me if you are willin." she said following him as he hitched the gelding up. Her hand soothed over his head as she watched the man sponge him down before releasing him. "Yeah he should still make someone happy." she replied softly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:34 pm

"Next weekend you say?" Julian tipped his hat back, already chewing on a piece of hay he'd picked up from the ground, thinking it through. "Wasn't planning on going, got the grey bastard to keep training for the weekend after. Plus the skinny mare." He glanced over at the dun horse. She was still much thinner than she should be, and he hadn't even gone near her feet to see what they were like. Though he knew that they were going to be as neglected as the rest of her.

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:40 pm

Luna nodded as her eyes saddened even as she gave a soft smile. "It is all good. I might see if any of the guys up here know anything. Though Im not sure how that will go." she told him with her voice trailing off during her last sentence. The men that worked with the show cattle were hand-picked for their knowledge on show cattle not on their horse knowledge. Trying to take attention off herself she looked over at the dun mare. "Shes a real stunner. How has she been goin with her training? I noticed you got her halter off." she said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:46 pm

He snorted. "She's no stunner, not yet. Just a neglected brumby. No training done with her yet, just working on getting her to trust. She's been hurt bad by someone." He tilted his head, thinking through his plans for the next couple of weeks. he had a demonstration to do with Ghost and some cattle work, and it was probably high time he applied for another foster kid. "If you're not confident, don't go to the sales. How old are the horses you're planning on retiring?"

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Luna could see the growing beauty in the dun mare and she shook her head when he said she had been hurt by someone. "I don't know how anyone could be cruel to a horse." she whispered. She looked up at him when he asked how old the retiring horses where and she blinked slightly shocked at the question. "They are currently 17 year old geldings. We start to phase them out of the hard work once they are 18 and fully retire them at 22. They like having horses ready to replace them when they start to phase out. The third was bitten by a brown while on rest in one of the outer paddocks. We didn't know until we went to find him for his check later the same day." she explained softly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:55 pm

"Ah, she'll be good for a kid one of these days." He tucked his hands in his pockets, shifting his weight a little. "17's a bit young to retire them if they still want to keep going. You got a few years yet before they absolutely need phasing out. Don't go rushing into buying a horse just because you've got the money." With a shift of his shoulders, he resettled his shirt, and tipped his hat to her. "Now unless you're planning on working some dogs with a stallion, you might wanna get going, sweetheart."

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:08 pm

Luna lifted one shoulder slightly. "The boys have been doin that for years. Often they retire from farm work and become school horses for the kids on the farm for a few more years. They are quiet and happy to go at their pace by then. The only one that cant be ridden anymore is a grumpy old mare who is nearly 30. Wont let anyone close to her with a saddle." she said watching him resettle his shirt with an easy shrug. "I think I will pass on that for now. I need to get back to the farm and give Nyx a light work out. Thank you for letting me watch a session." she said laying a hand on his arm before walking over to her car and leaving. Arriving home she dumped her stuff inside, set a load of washing and gave Nyx a good workout in the yard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wolfin

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:12 pm

Julian didn't bother to watch her go, simply getting about his jobs for the rest of the day. The session with the gelding had lasted longer than he'd planned, but he'd been going well, and he hadn't wanted to ruin the horse's thinking process. But now that it was done, he let off a couple of his older dogs and saddled Ghost. he could have some fun now, reminding the stallion how to be quick on his feet and ready for the demonstration in the couple of weeks.

PostSubject: Re: Equus Asinus   

Back to top Go down

Equus Asinus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Land of Role Play :: Role Play :: Human Roleplay-
Jump to: